de
forum+topic_location forum+forum_index » General » General Chat
jackky
jackky Aug 8

A few years ago, I wondered why David Ro s was taking such small contracts to a sist Brian McCann in Atlanta when he appeared to be good enough to start elsewhere. Whether it was a insufficient interest from other teams or Ro s need to stay in Atlanta, it puzzled me. When he was entitled to free agency again this season, I believed he would probably just stay in in Atlanta as he had before, since he appeared disinclined to play hardball together with his employers at contract time.

However things ended up behind closed doors in the meetings that did or didn't happen, Ro s surprised lots of people by reportedly signing a two-year, $6.2 million contract with the Red Sox this weekend. Why the Braves allow him to go and also the Red Sox are generally a little puzzling, but, once we will see, Ro s, the seemingly eternal backup, compares favorably to a lot of starting catchers within the league.

One might think that it is obvious that does not many teams don't want to pay a backup catcher $3 million a year. However, when i discu sed within the previously-mentioned Nike Tanjun Men Shoes post, Ro s isn't just any backup, which really hasnt changed since 2010. This year, Ro s had his fourth season in a row of above-average offense production at 109 wRC+. It is worth remembering that from 2009-2012 Ro s only had 663 plate appearances total, so lots of regre sion is required. He is also going to turn 36 in March.

However, even taking all that into account, he probably still projects as in regards to a league-average hitter, which is very good for any catcher. Moreover, by most measures, Ro s continues to be above-average defensively, including pitch framing. One might explain that recently he has only been playing about 60 games a year. Despite the limited playing time, he's been setting up 1.5-2 wins in each of these seasons. That's pretty impre sive in accordance with other catchers getting more playing time. That is easily worth three million dollars or so around the free agent market.

Atlantas particular situation is curious, though. Yes, they have Brian McCann. But McCann just finished a season in which injuries plagued him to this kind of extent he was decidedly out-hit by Ro s (McCann finished 2012 Nike Free Men Shoes having a career-worst 86 wRC+). McCann (a strangely underrated player in prior years) still projects to be clearly much better than Ro s, but with his health a bit uncertain and Ro s having the ability to put up as much as two wins in just 60 games when McCann is healthy, it appears at least a bit odd to be stingy with $3 million dollars. That isn't to state the Braves might not have another plan in mind for that money, it just feels strange for the Braves to be letting Ro s walk right after the way McCanns 2012 went.

While Ro s appears as if he'd be a good fit for a number of teams, the Red Sox do not seem to be one of them. Jarrod Saltalamacchia is not a world-beater, as his contact problems largely offset his power, and he isn't a defensive wizard, either. Saltalamacchia can also be due to have an arbitration raise which will likely earn him more than Ro s in 2013. Still, the main difference may not be that vast.

If the program is just to have Saltalamacchia and Ro s split time behind the plate, at first glance that makes sense. Saltalamacchias problems against southpaws would enable efficient platooning. However, that the Red Sox in addition have a promising young catcher in Ryan Lavarnway, and teams making noises about Nike Air Max LD Zero H Shoes rebuilding usually do not invest heavily in somewhat redundant catchers in their mid-30s. This doesn't suggest that the Red Sox are recorded on Lavarnway. Perhaps they believe he just requires a little more amount of time in the minors, considering that he did not exactly go ahead and take league by storm this year.

The other option would Nike Zoom PEGASUS 34 Shoes be to trade Saltalamacchia and also have Ro s be a veteran mentor who's actually useful in baseball games, as opposed to the sort of player usually related to that role. Just like the Braves, there's probably something other than the most obvious happening underneath the surface, however that does not nece sarily mean that we plebes aren't entitled to scratch our heads.

Semi-Relevant Epilogue

As an epilogue, want to reflect on just how good David Ro s is relative to his reputation like a backup by looking at some other nominal starting catchers around baseball who I don't think are better, or in most cases, even as good as Ro s. This isn't to say these teams should have signed Ro s. Rather, this can be a challenge to myself, as I have speculated there are about 10 teams to whom Ro s could be upgrading over their current projected starter.

[I will mostly be a suming fairly equal playing time. This is not really fair, as Ro s has only played about 60 games in most recent seasons, but even then it is pretty close. Remember, in that time he's managed to almost be a two-win player the previous few seasons, even in that limited playing time, 60 games of Ro s and the rest manned by replacement-level scrubs are nearly average. And hey, Ro s is an old guy, give an old guy a rest!]

Starting close to his new home, I think that David Ro s might currently function as the second-best catcher in the American League East. Matt Wieters a good hitter and perhaps the very best defensive catcher within the American League, but other than that, the Easts pickings are slim until Lavarnway and Torontos Travis DArnaud become full-time major leaguers. Jose Molina may be the best pitch-framer in baseball, but Ro ss superiority with the bat (and in all likelihood using the other aspects of catcher defense) makes him the greater overall player. Torontos J.P. Arencibia is ok and it is still young, but Ro s has clearly out-hit him, and even if Arencibia isnt quite as bad behind home plate as some think, there's a pretty big gap between him and NIKE AIR ZOOM PEGASUS 33 Shoes Ro s. The Yankees probably will not start 2013 with Chris Stewart behind the plate, but, though this can be controversial, I don't think Ru sell Martin is really much better than Ro s. That certain might be close.

That makes three teams (not counting Boston) for whom Ro s Nike Air Zoom Structure 20 Shoes would be as good or better than their projected 2013 starter. The number of more? Ro s is preferable to either of the Marlins catchers: John Buck or Rob Brantley. I would take Ro s within the Mets Josh Thole and also the Astros Jason Castro, too. Pittsburghs Michael McKenry isn't as good as Ro s, so far as I can tell. Neither are Oaklands Derek Norris or George Kottaras. That's eight. I don't know which i would state that the Angels Chris Iannetta is worse than Ro s, however i am not sure he's better.

That only agreed to be a fun, speculative exercise, do not take it too seriously. Without digging way too hard, I had been able to develop nine teams for whom backup David Ro s would be every bit as good as, and, in most cases, much better than their projected 2013 starter. Whatever Boston decides to do, they have themselves a good player at a bargain. Atlanta is just hoping they do not mi s him too badly.